If you haven’t been already, take a trip up to Jazeera Al Hamra to see the RAK Fine Arts Festival in the fort and old village. What a great setting for an art exhibition! Enjoy seeing the restored fort and adjacent buildings as well as the unrestored houses at the same time.
The exhibition is open from 8-6 weekdays and to 10pm weekends when artwork is projected on to the fort also. On Fridays there are art productions and on Friday 13th there will be a StarWars themed event.
Other activities as part of the festival include film screenings, art workshops and tours.
For more information, visit https://www.rakfinearts.ae
For more on the old village of Jazeera al Hamra, see here.
Some parents have been asking for ideas for what to do with their children during the upcoming school break and so I have compiled a list and sorted it into categories and a lot of them are educational. Some are repeated as they fit in more than one category. Those that I have written blog posts about include a link. Please remember I don’t cover anywhere in Dubai or Abu Dhabi as they tend to get enough coverage already. Also as this is a general list, there are some busier places you may want to avoid at this current time.
(The prices were correct at my last visit. If you find them to be different, please let me know. )
- Sharjah Science Museum (includes small play area for toddlers) 10dhs, children 5 dhs, under 3 free.
- Discovery Centre, Sharjah, Adults 10 dhs, children 5dhs,
- Sharjah Centre for Astronomy and Space Science, Adults 22dhs, children 11dhs, children under four free, closed Thursdays
- Sharjah Airport (Mahatta) Museum (science of flight, avian and aeroplane) Adults 10 dhs, children (2-12) 5 dh, under two free
- Sharjah Classic Car Museum, Adults 10dhs, children 2-12 yrs 5 dhs
- Sharjah Centre for Astronomy and Space Science, (space travel) Adults 22dhs, children 11dhs, children under four free, closed Thursdays
- Sharjah Airport (Mahatta) Museum
- Sharjah Maritime Museum, 20 dhs combined ticket with Sharjah Aquarium
- Tour in a UniMog, Mleiha Archeological Centre
- RTA Water taxi between Sharjah Aquarium and Ghubaiba Marine Station, Dubai. silver class 15dhs one way, gold class 25dhs one way
- Abras, self-drive boats, pedaloes – Al Majaz, al Qasba, Ajman Marina, Al Rafisah Dam
- Sharjah Archeological Musem,
- Al Hisn Museum, Khor Fakkan (includes exhibitions going back to the Iron Age), 15 dhs, free under 12,
- Mleiha Archeological Centre, archeological sites free or paid tour, musuem 20 dhs
- Heart of Sharjah – Heritage Museum, Calligraphy Museum, Hisn Fort, Souq al Arsha, Bait al Nabooda, Bait al Hurma, Sharjah Heritage Museum, Souq al Shansiya
- Museum of Islamic Civilisation, Sharjah, entrance free
- Al Miqsar Village, Khor Fakkan entrance free
- Al Hayl Fort, Fujairah entrance free
- Ajman Museum 5dhs
- Wadi al Helou Archeological site
- Jazira al Hamra ‘haunted’ abandoned village free
- Al Dhaya Fort, Rams, Ras al Khaimah free
- Fujairah Fort
- Bidiya Mosque, Fujairah free
- Botanical Museum, Sharjah Desert Park 15dhs for all museums/centres in park, under 12 free, closed Tuesday
- Islamic Gardens, Sharjah Desert Park 15dhs for all museums/centres in park, under 12 free, closed Tuesday
- Mangrove forests, Ajman, UAQ, RAK
- Noor Island adults 35, child 20, butterfly house 15 dhs extra (combined ticket 2 for 1 in Entertainer)
- Walk through Old Residential Village, Wadi Shees
- Buhais Geology Park, closed Tuesday
- Natural History Museum, Sharjah Desert Park, 5dhs for all museums/centres in park, under 12 free, closed Tuesday
- Discover Mleiha – Children’s workshops on fossils, paleontology – book in advance
- Sharjah Art Museum, free
- Sharjah Art Foundation
- Bait al Naboodah, free
- Calligraphy Museum, Heart of Sharjah
- The Rain Room art installation Adults 25dhs Children 6-12 15dhs, under 5s go free.
- Arabic Architecture – Sharjah government buildings in Al Khan, Government House Roundabout, Quran Roundabout, University City, Sharjah, Sharjah Municipality Building, Sharjah Mosque.
Just for fun!
- Al Rafisah Dam – lake, play areas, picnic areas, nature, ducks, pedalos, kayaks, etc starting from 30 dhs.
- Khor Fakkan Corniche
- Kalba Corniche Park
- Kayaking – Ajman Marina, RAK, KIte Beach UAQ, Khor Kalba
- Al Majaz Waterfront – restaurants and cafes, more happening 4pm onwards – mini golf, splash park, boats, car rides (pretend old style cars), multiple play areas, jogging track, park
- Al Qasba Canal – restaurants and cafes, paid play areas, occasional festivals
- Ajman Marina – play areas, boat rides, restaurants and cafes, beach, caravan site, birdwatching, golf
- Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm with boat trip, Al Rams, Ras al Khaimah 300 dhs, children 200 (?) dhs
- Discover Mleiha – dune-bashing, horse-riding, UniMog tour, workshops, stargazing and more (all need to be booked in advance)
Don’t forget, if you enjoy my page, please follow me on here, Facebook or Instagram and share with your friends!
There are four locations for the Light Festival at University City. Drive down the main avenue through the City where the palms are all lit up and stop to watch the Sound and Light Show at Sharjah Police College. Next head down to al Dr Sultan al Qasimi Centre for Gulf Studies and finally drive or walk up to City Hall to watch another show. Then you can enjoy something to eat or drink from the food trucks opposite.