Resistance Monument Khor Fakkan
What is the Resistance Monument in Khor Fakkan? Read on to discover the background.
In 1507, the Portuguese army attacked Khor Fakkan, a coastal town in the east. However, the local inhabitants showed incredible bravery and fought back, resulting in the loss of life and tragic atrocities committed by the Portuguese.
As was their custom then, prisoners were brutally disfigured, with their noses, ears, and hands being cut off.
HH Sheikh Sultan Al Qasimi commissioned the Resistance Monument to commemorate the bravery of townsfolk. The design represents a helmet worn in those days and symbolises the local inhabitants’ resistance.
Resistance Monument Museum and Film Theatre
The monument is home to a small museum and a movie theatre on the lower level.
The small museum theatre plays the historical drama film Khor Fakkan, based on the research of HH Sheikh Dr Sultan Al Qassimi’s book Khorfakkan’s Resistance against the Portuguese Invasion of September 1507.
The movie screens daily at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm, except on Fridays when the only show is at 4pm.
The film runs for approximately 100 minutes and has English subtitles, although you should be aware that it contains violent scenes.
V Cafe at the Resistance Monument
During your visit, visit the charming V Cafe on the upper level and enjoy the panoramic views of the city.
Admission to the movie and museum is free.
Resistance Monument Timings
Museum Sat–Thurs 9am-10pm, Fri 2–10pm, Cafe 9am–midnight
Buy Exploring the Emirate of Sharjah – Walking and cycling tours and itineraries in the city and Central and Eastern Region. Includes Khor Fakkan, the Resistance Monument and a Portuguese History Trail.
What is near the Resistance Monument in Khor Fakkan?
- Flag Square (and restaurants)
- Khor Fakkan Square and Fountain Park
- Khor Fakkan Old Souq and Hisn Museum
- Traditional Crafts Museum
- Portuguese Fort Archaeological site
- Al Rabi Tower, cafe and hiking trail
- Suhub Rest House
- Khor Fakkan Beach
- Al Rafisa Dam
- Al Miqsar Village
- Al Nahwa
- Khor Fakkan – includes above
- Madha, Omani enclave
- Go here to see more hidden gems in the UAE or go to Home.
- Follow on Instagram or Facebook for regular photos, tips and snippets of cultural and historical information too
- Sign up for Glimpses of the UAE Newsletter
- Follow Glimpses of UAE on WordPress.com
- Take me to the Glimpses of the UAE map