Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm is the only one of its kind in the Middle East and was set up 17 years ago by Abdulla Al Suwaidi, the grandson of one of the last pearl divers, Mohammed bin Abdulla Al Suwaidi.
On this fascinating tour, you’ll learn all about the history of pearl farming in UAE and the whole process.
Disclosure: When you make a booking or purchase through links on this site, I may earn commission from partners at no extra cost to you. This helps me to build the site and bring you more great posts!
Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm
The oldest known pearl in the world was discovered on an island in Abu Dhabi and is around 8000 years old. If you visit the Louvre Museum in the capital, you can see it on display and admire its beauty.
Did you know that archaeological evidence of the use of pearls in this region goes as far back as 6000 BC? Perhaps unsurprisingly, pearls were not only found near the coast. Archaeologists discovered a necklace of pearls in a Palaeolithic period grave at Al Buhais in Al Madam Desert.
Experts estimate it to be around 7000 years old. At that time, pearls were possibly traded for pottery. If you’d like to learn more about the history of Ras Al Khaimah, you can combine this trip with a visit to The National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah.
Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm Tour
Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm tour leaves from the harbour in a traditional boat and takes you on a fascinating trip around the bay and then out to the mangroves.
Along with the scenery of the rugged Hajar mountains and mangroves reflecting in the calm, clear water, you’ll also see herons, egrets, flamingos, cormorants and other birds, flying fish and, surprisingly, even camels.
Watch out for the flying fish in the video below!
The next stop is Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm itself, which sits in the main bay of Rams overlooking the rugged but stunning Hajar Mountains.
The guide is very knowledgeable and will give a wonderfully informative history of pearling and then a detailed explanation and demonstration of the entire process of pearl farming. After this, he will select an oyster to open in front of you and will check for pearls, both cultured and natural.
In the photos below, you can see some of the tools used for pearl farming in UAE.
The Suwaidi Pearl Farm tour concludes with a detailed explanation of the classification of pearls according to lustre, size, shape, etc. At this point, you will have a chance to see all the pearls and tools up close. By the end of the tour, you may be surprised at how much you’ve learned.
The priceless prayer beads in the photo above are only of three sets which took several years to complete. The other two were gifted to Sheikh Khalifa and Sultan Qaboos.
If you want to buy anything, products are also on display and make for a special gift. (These are also available in their store in Dubai.)
Before leaving Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm on the boat back to the harbour, each guest receives and gift. I won’t spoil the surprise though!
Where to stay near Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm?
- If you want to stay as close as possible and in Rams, take a look at Al Jood Resort which has private villas with a pool and garden. Book Al Jood Resort now or see more.
- Another private villa with a pool in Rams is at Saraya. Book Saraya Pool Villa now.
- If you want to combine it with some adventure over at Jebel Jais, you could rough it at Bear Grylls Explorer Camp. Book Bear Grylls Camp, Jebel Jais
- For a beach resort, the Hilton is the closest. Book Hilton Ras AL Khaimah Beach Resort now.
- If you fancy glamping Bedouin style, check out Bedouin Oasis. Book Bedouin Oasis now.
- If you’re on a tighter budget, look at Ras Al Khaimah Hotel. Book Ras Al Khaimah Hotel now.
What else to see and do in Rams Ras Al Khaimah
You can combine Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm with Al Dhaya Fort, Museum of Beautiful Time, the mangroves, the harbour, Soraya Beach and historic buildings. Visit the full post on Rams to see more.
Where else can you visit nearby?
- Soraya Beach
- Wadi Ghalila
- Al Manar Mall Promenade
- Jebel Jais
- Wadi Shaam
- National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah
- Follow on Instagram or Facebook for regular photos, tips and snippets of cultural and historical information too.
- Sign up for the Glimpses of the UAE Newsletter
- Take me to the Glimpses of the UAE Map to find nearby locations and plan my trip.
- See some of my hiking trails, walks and off-road trips on Wikiloc.
- To see my Oman trips, visit In Scotterati Footsteps.
- Where is Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm UAE located? It is located at Rams, Ras Al Khaimah
- How can I book for the Suwaidi Pearls Farm Tour? You can book the Suwaidi Pearl Farm Tour here.
- How many pearl farms are in the UAE? There is only one.
- What is the Suwaidi Pearls Farm ticket price? The price can change but you can check this deal here.
- Can I stay at Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm? No, but there are some options of places to stay nearby near the end of this post.
- Can I camp near Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm? You can camp near the mountains and wadis but it is no longer allowed to camp on Ras Al Khaimah beaches and you could be fined for doing so.
Post last updated September 2023