Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization opened in 2008 in what was formerly Souq Al Majarra. The building itself is worthy of a visit alone for its beautiful Islamic architecture and minute details.
Be sure to visit the top floor to see the night sky, constellations and zodiac painted on the inside of the dome.
It has permanent displays within six galleries including Islamic art, calligraphy, weaponry, manuscripts, artefacts from early scientific innovation and Islamic history.
The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions from overseas. The current temporary exhibition is entitled ‘Drop by Drop’ and features water-related exhibits. It will be open until the end of 2021.
The museum has a cafe and shop and is wheelchair accessible. Paid parking is available at the rear as well as opposite the museum on the corniche.
Museum of Islamic Civilization Timings: Sat-Thurs 8-8 except Friday 4-8. Museum of Islamic Civilization Entry Fee: Adults AED 10, children AED 10, resident senior citizens and POD free.
Museum of Islamic Civilization
Buy Exploring the Emirate of Sharjah – Walking and cycling tours and itineraries in the city and Central and Eastern Regions – buy now
Some other museums to visit in Sharjah
- Sharjah Science Museum
- Sharjah Centre for Astronomy and Space Sciences
- Natural History and Botanic Museum, Sharjah Desert Park
- Sharjah Art Museum
- Heritage Museum, Hisn Fort, Calligraphy Museum and Bait al Nabooda
- Go here to see more hidden gems in the UAE or go to Home.
- Follow on Instagram or Facebook for regular photos, tips and snippets of cultural and historical information too
- Sign up for Glimpses of the UAE Newsletter
- Follow Glimpses of UAE on WordPress.com
- Take me to the Glimpses of the UAE map